Australia (

Many countries require Australians to have an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to a valid Australian driving licence to legally drive a car, or ride a motorbike. An IDP is a widely recognised document that can be issued by associated members of the Australian Automobile Association (AAA).

IDPs are issued through state and territory motoring clubs. To obtain an International Driving Permit, please contact the relevant IDP authority in your state:

  New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory NRMA Motoring and Services


  Queensland RACQ Ltd.(Royal Automobile Club of Queensland Limited)


  Victoria RACV (Royal Automobile Club of Victoria)


  South Australia RAA (Royal Automobile Association of South Australia, Inc)


  Western Australia RAC (Royal Automobile Club of Western Australia (Incorporated)


  Tasmania RACT (Royal Automobile Club of Tasmania Limited)


  Northern Territory AANT (Automobile Association of Northern Territory Inc), phone: (08) 8981 3837



Although many countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses, most countries accept an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP functions as an official translation of a U.S. driver's license into 10 foreign languages.

Before departure, you can obtain an IDP at a local office of one of the two automobile associations authorized by the U.S. Department of State:

  AAA (American Automobile Association)


  National Auto Club